Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Who me?!.... A Runner?!

Last Thursday as I finished my run and headed into the salon to get my mane tamed, someone said to me “I wish I was a runner.” I automatically responded back “Me, too”. I have never thought of myself as a runner. I played basketball in high school and stayed as far away from the track as possible. So when I hear people say that I am a runner, I deny it and wish it was true.( Side note: Thank you Jessi Romo at Uptown Image for putting up with my sweaty ass and cutting my hair after a quick 3 mile run. You rock!)

It was this past Sunday, when I realized I was, indeed, a runner. My running BFF, Vern, and I meet for our last long run rendezvous in Bonner Springs to run the Tiblow Trot… twice. As we were pounding out the miles, I thought to myself: So this is what a runner does? Instead of laying on the couch watching football on Sunday, I am running 10 freaking miles!

Instead of saying “f#ck it!” and walking the gianormous hill by the baseball fields, I pushed on.. step by step (bust out the NKOTB song, you know you wannna). Those steps up that hill were agonizing and I was sucking air. I wanted some freaking water, but I didn’t stop and I kept at it. Then I was at the top of the hill and it was all over. Thank the Lord, it was over! That makes me a runner. The dedication and drive to keep going even when I am sucking air. Finally, after conquering 10 miles, I feel as though am privileged enough to be labeled a runner.

Let’s talk about that 10 mile run on Sunday, shall we? I honestly thought I would have tears streaming down my face when I finished. I didn’t. I wasn’t emotional at all. Why? Going into it I was arrogant. I knew I could do it. The week before I knocked out 9 miles and didn’t have a problem. So to add one more mile wasn’t that big of a deal. Of course, I dreaded the 10 mile run, but I knew I could do it. Oh, but it was far from a smooth 10 miles. Twice I thought I shit myself. First, was around mile 7 when I really needed to poop so bad that I seriously thought about ducking into the Church on Morris street to take care of business. Then I figured my sweaty, stinky ass wouldn’t blend in very well with Sunday evening crowd. The second time I thought I shit myself is when I almost got plowed over by a 4 door maroon sedan. The old man did not see us until I started screaming “Hey!” and waving my arm at him. Then he jerked over into the next lane. Seriously, it was a close call in broad daylight with us running against traffic. Learn to drive and pay attention to the road!

My husband asked me “When are you going to do a marathon?” Hmmm… don’t see that happening. I know the time and dedication it takes to run a half and I have no desire to double that. Training for a full marathon is a whole other ball game that is much more time consuming and demanding than a half. I think I will stick with 13.1.
Curious about my time and calories, well I burned 1,286 calories running 10 miles in 1:43:50. I will take that!

So I leave you with an introduction: “Hi, I am Melissa and I am a runner”. Who knew!?
Vern pounding out 10 miles! I love this gal!
Bring on 13.1.... We are ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment