Friday, May 29, 2009

The GREAT OUTDOORS tries to COME INDOORS!

Sorry this one is late, but it has been a pretty crazy week!

Last Friday afternoon our office closed early so I got off early. My mom and I headed to the Legends, Mall, and Gordmans to do some shopping. At Gordmans we came up with the idea of putting vases above the fireplace. Not on the mantle, but the triangle section above the mantle where the fireplace stops. So we hunted and I mean hunted for vases that were different textures and sizes, but a natural color palette. We went as far as setting them all up on the corner of a register. We swamped them in and out to see what went with what. This was seriously a good hour and half process. We finally ended up leaving with a perfect combination of 8 vases. We get home and I show off my accomplishment to my husband only for him tell me "That isn't $200.00 worth of vases (I actually spent $161.00 and it included two brackets to hold pictures up). There are flowers. No flowers. I don't like it". By this point my heart just dropped! Talk about raining on your parade! Boys just don't get it! Josh is not a typical guy. During the whole wedding planning process he had an opinion and he wasn't the groom that said do whatever you want it is more important to you than me. Nope Josh was involved. With that being said do you really think he isn't going to have an opinion about how our house will be decorated. Later that evening after I explained that when I am excited about something you need to be happy for me whether you like it or not. Fake it. I don't give a shit, but be happy and don't rain on my parade. Of course I had to give an example of how if he came home with a deer and wanted to mount it and I acted like he did how would he feel. The point got across after that.

Saturday did not start any better! I could tell from the start when we first headed out that we really weren't in the mood and the task to find a picture for our house would be much more difficult than I thought. Josh suggested we go to Cabelas first. Cabelas is a hunting store..... oh, but they had pictures! Apparently Josh wanted to bring the GREAT OUTDOORS INDOORS! We had pictures of pheasant, deer, dogs, etc. The one of the horses really caught Josh's eye and I told him there was no way horses were going to be galloping through my living room! That is just not happening! We left Cabelas a little pissy at each other and headed to Nebraska Furniture Mart in hopes to find a picture we both liked. NFM was horrible. It was one thing after another. We started looking at dinning room tables only to move onto chairs, then to couches, and finally to we just left pissed off at each other! Everything seemed like a battle and we could not agree on a damn thing. Which is frustrating for both of us. Josh thinks that every single of piece of furniture needs to recline! My comment to that is... Is everyone going to come into our house and sprawl out or what? Shit... every piece of furniture does not need to recline. Come on now! So we drove home and took naps. Yes, we took naps. We argued all the way home and when we got there we laid in bed and took naps like little kids. We both needed one! We woke up and sorted out or differences on paper. We wrote down a list of things we wanted in the house and for the house. Of course mine were a lot of I want this, I want that, etc. Josh's last one on this list of course was... I want you to be happy in OUR house. Yes, he did write it just how I typed it. By the time this was done we felt much better. So off to Target we went! Round two was much better than round one. Right off the bat we found a picture we both loved! Yay! Thank you Target! You just may have saved our marriage! Just kidding, but it was great! The rest of the evening went so well and much more pleasant than the morning! So we officially have a picture to hang on the wall!

I am telling you buying a house, moving, and decorating have really challenged our marriage. We love each other very much, but some days it is harder than others. Oh, and Josh is still tobacco free! I am sure that is not helping very much either. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we notch away the next 21 days until we move!

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh out loud. Been there, done that. Wait until you have kids to name-then the claws and ugliness really come out ;)

    ReplyDelete