Monday, March 5, 2012

Daycare Drama!

Last week was our first week at the new daycare (Mrs. Debbie). Monday was horrible. That morning all the way to Debbie’s I talked to Easton about going to a new daycare and having three new playmates. I told her how much fun it would be and she would have three boys to play with. I think I was mostly reassuring myself about leaving her with somebody new. Because I, of course, look at like I am abandoning her with a stranger. That I am leaving her in this new place not knowing a single person.

The first day I picked Easton up early, around 2:00 pm. Some things irked me; she took a nap in her shoes; she sleep with her lamb (she normally doesn’t sleep with any stuff animals); didn’t seem like she received enough water because when we got to my parents she chugged the water I gave her. I called her twice that morning and I had this feeling that a lot of TV was being watched. To top it off it seemed like she wasn’t listening to me. I guess since she had been doing it for 30 years she MUST know my child better than me. Go figure. So day one.. Not good. My mom and everyone else kept saying give her a chance. It’s everyone’s first day and it will take some getting use too.

Day two… I called once mid-morning and surprise, surprise they were watching TV. Hmmm… When I picked Easton up that day there she was with three little boys watching TV holding a book. She comes running over to me and I pick her up and say “Are you reading a book?” Debbie happily says “Yeah Noah (4 maybe 5 year old) was reading Easton the Ho Ho Ho book.” She must of saw the look on my face as I looked over at the little kid because she quickly said “Oh, and Debbie, too.” Hmmm… really you read my daughter this book. Could have fooled me with the laptop open on the coffee table and the papers strewn out. Riiiight. So I am annoyed. I gather all Easton’s stuff up and head out my car to load up. A lady who is walking her dog comes down the street and approaches me. At first I didn’t recognize her, but then I remember she had brought her two girls over that morning to Debbie’s to catch the bus.

Lady: “Is that Easton. The Easton that went to Mandy’s?”

Me: “Yep, this is the Easton that went to Mandy’s.”

Lady: “The Mandy that has breast cancer”

Me: Yes, Do you know Mandy?”

Come to find out that she did and actually lived across the street from Mandy when she was growing up. We started chatting and come to find out that Mrs. Debbie isn’t all she is cracked up to be. Like thought they watch a lot of TV. They are not very stimulated or nurtured. Are kidding me! We are out of this place. I cried all the way home (dangerous I know, but I couldn’t keep it together). I got home and Josh asked me what was wrong. Through tears I said “We aren’t taking her back there”. Josh said we don’t have to, but what happened. I filled him in on everything. He agreed we would not be going back there. Later that evening I had Josh call Debbie and tell her he wasn’t working the next couple of days and Easton would be there. I needed to get our ducks in a row before I made the dreaded phone call of “we will no longer be going there”.

Thursday I scheduled an interview with an in home daycare provider. We had originally interviewed this lady when I was pregnant, but thought she was a little high for daycare. But now since Easton is a toddler her rate is much more reasonable. Anyways, we visited with her Thursday evening and Easton really warmed up to her. She had art work displayed, pictures of her daycare kids, toys, play areas in her back yard, and so much more. She has a very structured day and when I asked if the kids watch TV she said only in the morning while I am making breakfast and kids are arriving. The rest of the day we are doing activities, reading books, quiet time/nap time, and outside play. This is what Easton needs. We begin Monday, March 12th. Hopefully this transition is easier than the last one.

Seriously... who couldn't love this face!



No comments:

Post a Comment