Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Saturday Steals and Deals! A Door Too!

Oh, what a Labor Day weekend for the Bosley Home! Saturday morning my dad and I hit a couple of garage sales and estate sales. BTW Estate sales are my new favorite thing right now. I really liked the thrill of finding cool old stuff at awesome prices! Below are my findings from this past Saturday's outing! Not to mention is was great father-daughter time!

This is an old glass beverage dispenser. It has a brass turn style lever to release the beverage. I loved it! How much did I pay you wonder?! Well it was originally marked $25.00, but since it was the last day of the Estate Sale I got everything 1/2 off! So I paid $12.50!

I decided to put it in the nook above my kitchen. I plan on filling it with fake lemons to add some color! I just love this piece!

My other two findings. Love them! I paid $10.00 for the tall one and $4.00 for the smaller one!

I also decided to put them in a nook. The one above our fireplace.




Last weeks blog mentioned a door.... Well here it is and the story behind it! I have been playing with the idea of making a headboard out of an old door for our guest room. I have seen it done in many magazines and have always thought it looked really cool. Thus begins our tale... Two Saturdays ago, Tiblow Trot Saturday, my parents, Josh, and I went to the Habitat for Humanity Restore. What is the Habitat for Humanity Restore you ask. Well it is a building that contractors, homeowners, and whoever else take used building materials. Now alot of this stuff comes from people doing renovations on their home and have items that are still functional and in good shape. They have all kinds of stuff, bricks, doors galore, windows, sinks, blinds, toilets, stoves, the list goes on and on. So I found this door for $5.00, yes five dollars, and decided what the hell. For $5.00 I could give this project a whirl! So we loaded the door into the Yukon and off we went. By the way Josh was quite sold on this idea/project of mine. I think he thought I was crazy!

I sanded the entire door two Sundays ago! Here I am sanding away. Power washing was way to tedious for me and it took chunks of the door off.

It was this ugly yellow color! The exposed wood is where we started to power wash it.


Here I am aging the painted door with sand paper.


I painted it a cream color and then went back and roughed it up.


Finished product! So $5.00 for the door, $7.00 for Vanilla Bean colored paint from Wal-Mart, and many sheets of sand paper later... I great headboard. Now once we paint the guest bedroom and put up the headboard, I will post pictures of it actually serving its purpose! BTW I LOVED how it turned out! It is too cute and can't wait to finish the guest bedroom!
Oh, and while I was estate shopping and working on my door headboard, Josh was out at the Tongie farm helping a friend put a gate up. I haven't gave a dip update! Josh is well... Hmm.... like 5 months Copenhagen free! Yeppers, I am still so proud of him. I think some of his random crankiness is starting to fade! (thank god) So my Labor Day Saturday was GREAT! Sunday's activites to follow in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment