Thursday, April 30, 2009

House Hunting.... The good, the bad, and the Ugly!

Josh and I started looking at houses this week. Sunday evening I contacted our real estate agent, Renee. By the way, she is great! Thanks for referring us to her Megan! I found this house in Basehor, 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath and it sits on an one acre lot. Yes! Everything we wanted! Wrong... not everything we wanted. We get to the house Monday evening only to find out it has major foundation issues. Major cracks on the basement floor, garage floor, and up the walls. We quickly say no. As does our agent. Now of course I am crushed since my hopes were up so high. I am just devastated. Pictures can be so deceiving. So Josh and I cruise the Basehor area in hopes of stumbling upon our perfect house. Needless to say we did not find our perfect house and we wasted gas in the process. Monday was a very disappointing house viewing evening.

Tuesday morning I emailed our agent and we setup showings for three houses for that evening. One in Tonganoxie, one in Basehor, and one South of Lansing, just off K-7. We, as in me, Josh, my mom and dad, met the agent at 5:30 pm at the house in Tonganoxie. The house was an instant hit for Josh. He fell in LOVE immediately. The 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house sits on 5 acres and has a shop and stocked pond. Seriously I think Josh would have moved in the next day. I, however, didn't have that gleam in my eye like Josh did. The house is a split entry and needs a lot of updating. I mean A LOT. The kitchen cabinets are so old and I believe the counter top is the original one. Did I mention it was a yellow counter top? The only room that has been updated is the main bathroom. The driveway will need to be dug up, re-graded, and poured again due to water coming into the garage. Crappy construction! This house would take a lot of work, sweat, weekends and I am sure cause some husband and wife spats/blow ups. I do like the idea of remodeling a home. I think it could be fun, but I am not sure about the drive. It would take Josh and me 30 to 40 minutes to get to work. Our future children would also end up in the Tonganoxie School District. Overall the first house of the evening was a hit for Josh and had potential for me. We moved on to the house #2 of the evening in Basehor. It instantly got marked off the list. No mater bath equals NO offer. On to Lansing! Now this house was very interesting. The owners converted the garage into living area for their elderly mother. It had a living room, bedroom, bath, and kitchen area. However, the second living area was a turn off. And the fact that my husband made the comment that he would just stay down there to live and wouldn't have to come to the main level to see his wife. I knew it would be true! He would turn it into his “man room”. On that note we ended our evening of house hunting.

So after one major fight and many discussions, Josh and I are going to go back to the house in Tongie this Tuesday to take a look one more time and most likely make an offer. Unless some major problem jumps out at us then all bets are off!

Those of you who think house hunting is fun....well it is not. Not for us at least. We have two opinions and we are only purchasing one house. And we are two very stubborn people! Please say a prayer for us. Divorced before our one year anniversary would not be good ;)

Oh, and Josh has been dip-less for four days! He as not had a dip since last Saturday! Last night when we went to Wal-Mart he stocked up on gum and grabbed the biggest bag of mints I have ever seen! He has had a couple of moments that he is not thinking very rationally and is easily irritable, but overall he is in a great mood and is doing a GREAT job. His only complaint is that his jaw hurts from chewing so much gum. Keep your thoughts and prayers headed his way! I am so proud of him! Just as I promised… I put $40 into his “man account” this week!

Try to stay dry everyone!

1 comment:

  1. LOL at "man room" and "man account". Too funny! I hope you guys find exactly what you're looking for and that Josh keeps up the good work as far as chewing goes. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete