Friday, June 22, 2012

A NOT so Jazzy 10K

This past Saturday I did my first ever 10K and it was the first time I got to use my
Garmin watch in a race. I was super excited about this! That is 6.2 miles for those of you who didn't know just how stinking far that is. Six point two freaking miles! This was Corporate Woods' Jazz in the Woods 10K and in my opinion we couldn't have picked a better race to do our first 10K, for several reasons. 1. The race began at 7:30 am, though it was already humid and warm at this time. 2. The course was pretty dang flat. No crazy hills. 3. The majority of the course was shaded which meant not having the sun beating down on you the entire time. Finally, 4. It was a smaller race.

NOTES:
  • Mile 1- When I went into this race I had the mind frame that I wanted my pace to stay between a 10:00 - 10:30 minute mile. But Sexy Lexie took off out of the chute and we ended up with a 9:48 minute mile the first mile. And I kept thinking to myself that I was going to pay for it later. And I did.
  • Mile 5 to 6 was so ridiculously long. At one point, I asked a volunteer if she was sure we didn't turn here and head to the finish. Unfortunately, I was told no.
  • The mile markers on the course were not accurately marked and we actually ran 6.25 miles! And yes, those .23 miles do matter!
  • My average pace was 10:27 and I burned 870 calories. Then, through out the day, I consumed all the calories I had burned by eating everything in sight!  
  • I completed 6.25 miles in 1 hour and 5 minutes!

Can you see the fear in our eyes...

A hot, sweaty, mess... but we did it! 6.2 freaking miles!


1 comment: