Friday, July 23, 2010

Our version of TLC a BABY STORY!

July 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm Easton Blondell Bosley was welcomed into the world weighing 7 lbs. 15.5 oz and 20 inches long! Everyone has a labor and delivery story and we are no different. So here is ours:

Our day began at 5:15 am on Friday, July 16, 2010. We set three different alarms to make sure we did not over sleep. Josh took Tylenol PM to ensure he would be able to get a good nights rest. I took the day before off and cleaned our house so I was exhausted and slept a lot better than I thought I would. At 6:20 am we said good-bye to our doggies and headed to Shawnee Mission Medical Center to begin our induction.



The last time we were a family of two plus two doggies!



We headed back to our room around 7:30 am and got settled in. Nurse Ann went over everything with us. She was an AMAZING nurse and I can't thank her enough for all she did for Josh and I. Around 8:30 am Nurse Ann began putting my IV in. At the same time the anesthesiologist came in to review the epidural procedure and make me aware of the complications. Now as most of you know I am TERRIFIED of needles! As the Nurse is sticking me in my hand for the IV this guy is rambling on about remaining still, cleaning the area three times, and the side effect that could possibly result from an epidural. Do you really think I was paying attention to him! NO! Finally I had to tell him I really wasn't focused on what he was saying, but instead I was panicking over the needle they were putting in my hand. He then stopped his spill until they were done. Josh knows how I am crazy scared of needles and how they make me panic so he asked the nurse to cover the IV with gauze so I couldn't see anything. I must say Josh was on top of his game from the time we arrived until we left the hospital. Dr. Grounds came in around 8:30 am and broke my water and they began the Pitocin. While they pumped the Pitocin in me Josh and I agreed to have immediate family members in the room until things got too painful. Then we were kicking everyone out! From 8:30 am to 11:30 am the contractions were not bad. I bull shitted with my family and the nurse came in and checked me every hour to see how I was progressing. I used the birthing ball and humor to help cope with the contractions. Around 11:30 am bulling shitting and humor went out the window. The contractions became much more intense and I no longer felt like having company so out the parents went. I kept telling the nurse I felt like I needed to poop. She said honey it just the pressure from the baby, but you can try. Now up to this point Josh had accompanied me to the bathroom for all my pee trips, but the poop one he said "Momma you are on your own for this one. Let me know when you are done and I will come back in and help you wheel out your IV stand." I completely understood and really didn't think I could poop with my husband standing right there holding on to my IV pole. Yes, I was the girl who got the urge to poop once my contractions picked up. Weird I know. Because standing and leaning over the birthing ball was the most comfortable position for me, we decided to have the nurse monitor Easton's heartbeat through an internal monitor instead of the one that straps to your belly. My contractions began in my back so leaning over and allowing gravity to help me cope with the pain felt the best. After about 15 minutes of using the birthing ball it wasn't cutting it so the next best thing was my husband! We seriously looked like we were at an 8th grade dance. You remember... guys hands on the girls waist. Girls arms stretched over the guys shoulder. Both swaying back and forth not really moving their feet too much. In fact, between contractions I asked him if he felt like he was in middle school all over again. We laughed briefly, because my contractions were only given me a 45 second rest in between and they were no laughing matter. The other thing that helped me with my labor was the hot packs. Josh would hold one on my back and I would hold one on the front. They were heavenly! During this time I also started to feel very nauseous and since I was planting my head in my husbands chest every time I had a contraction I quickly realized my nausea was being caused by his cologne. I told Josh "You have to got to change your shirt!" and without missing a beat or hesitating he ran over to our bags grabbed another shirt and swapped them out all while I am yelling "Hurry! Hurry! Here comes another one!" I also decided that the gum he was chewing was making me nauseous so I told him he needed to spit it out. Once again without even blinking he ran over to the trash can and got rid of it before another contraction came. Oh, and I said serveral times to the nurse that A Baby Story is full of shit! Around 1:00 pm I no longer wanted to do med free birth. I was dialted to a six and wanted an epidural! By 1:15 pm. I was on my way to a pain free labor! The random crap that kept coming out of my mouth during the whole epidural process was crazy. For instance I blurted out "I have no idea how 15 year olds do this! I am 27 and can't do this!" Josh says I was breathing so hard and fast that he thought I was going to pass out. He kept trying to get me to slow down my breathing, but I just wasn't having it! Once the epidural was in and done. Life was fabulous! We let family come back into the room and around 3:15 pm it was time! I was dilated to a 10 and Dr. Grounds was on her way! I began pushing and thankfully I pushed for less than an hour. I kept asking the doctor if was doing it right because I couldn't feel a thing. No pressure or pain. In between contractions my husband was a rock star! He feed me ice chips and patted my head with a cold wash cloth. The doctor and the nurse said he should be a doula because he was so damn good! When Josh asked what they do, Dr. Grounds said they help women who don't have good husbands during labor and delivery. The entire delivery process was not what I expected at all. In between pushes we were all bull shitting. Talking about Dr. Grounds having more kids, the car she drives, etc. It was much more relaxed than I thought it was going to be. I did have mirror setup and I was able to watch my progress with every push. Josh even worked up the nerve to look "down there". He said he looked three different times. The first when we could start seeing her head. The second when she crowned and the third when she came sliding out. Once she was out and Josh cut the cord, they placed her on my stomach and I immediately began bawling! I was so overwhelmed with pure happiness to finally meet our little girl. She instantly melted my heart and I was in love and in Ahhh... of what Josh and I had created. A perfect beautiful girl! She was having trouble pinking up so they gave her a little oxygen and set her right back on my chest. Skin to skin contact was so important to me, so I was glad to have her back within a few short minutes. After that time just seemed to fly by. I was able to nurse right away and Josh assisted in giving her her first bath. We had the nurses wait to give her her shots and put the eye medication in until we had time with her to bond and just enjoy our family. Oh, and of course I asked to see the placenta. I had carried it around for 10 months and wanted to know what it looked liked. The scrub tech nurse held it up in front of me and Josh. That thing is bigger than you think and it is solid. Around 5:30 pm the families eagerly headed into our room were Easton Blondell was loved on by all! Around 10:00 pm the nurses moved us to our recovery room and we got settled in for the night. While we were in the hospital Josh went EVERY where Easton went. Even if it was midnight and they needed to do some tests in the nursery. Josh NEVER let her go anywhere without him. My husband was simply amazing not just during the birth of our little girl, but throughout our entire pregnancy even post-pregnancy when I felt like my insides would drop out at any minute. He was my biggest support and I know I would never had made it with out him. He kept saying how proud he was of me during the delivery, but I was so proud of him. He instantly went into Daddy mode when Easton came into this world and he has never looked back. I am so lucky to have such a hands on husband who wants to change diapers, get up during 2:00 am feedings to help me get my pillows stacked up for nursing, burp her when he is watching Sports Center, and love on her so much. I told him since he was so awesome this time around that we would have another one in a couple of years! He just laughed! Oh and by the way, I asked Dr. Grounds if I pooped while pushing and she said no! Guess my labor poop paid off earlier that day!

Welcome to the world Easton Blondell Bosley






I couldn't believe she was finally here!

Proud Daddy!

Happy Family!


While in the hospital we had to supplement formula because she had jaundice. But as soon as my milk came in that following Wednesday, we said good-bye to formula and hello to the boobie milk!


Mommy and daughter!

Josh introducing the dogs to Easton


1 comment: