Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Road to 13.1: Running with the Cows 5K

Running with the cows. Hmm… more like cow running! At least that is what I felt like. My friend, Sexy Lexie, the one who got the ball rolling on The Road to 13.1, kicked booty. She rocked this race. I on the other hand was over it before it started. I woke up at 5 that morning feeling unrested (could be the fact that my daughter work up 3 times between the hours of 2:30 am and 5 am). So I dragged my tired ass out of bed and hit the road to pick up Lex. This race was pretty far south… like 247th Street off 69 Highway. As we are making our way to park (in a sod farm) it was a total Field of Dreams moment.
Can you see the cars back up on 69 hwy!


Sod Farm Parking Lot!
I woke up that morning not feeling this race. If I could have bailed on Lexie without her wrath of running anger coming down on me I would have. But I didn't and so began a crappy race run.  The race started late due to the overwhelming number of people participating. The half-marathoners started 30 mins. late which pushed the 5k start time back 30 mins. There were still people starting the half 15 mins after the gun sounded. The event was just not prepared for the huge turnout and parking took fooooreeevver! Alright so finally the 5k started and Lexie and I started off at the same pace and stayed that way pretty much the first mile. But then things went to shit for me (literally). I had to poop and I couldn't get rid of a damn side cramp. Ugh... Lex pulled ahead and I sluggishly made my way through the remaining 2.1 miles without pooping my britches. I couldn’t have been happier with that. Trust me the outcome could have been a lot worse!

The course was pretty disappointing. I hate course where you run up the road and make a U-turn and run right back down. Which is what you did with this race. I just saw these fields and barns the first half of the race. Why the hell do I want to see it again the second half? It was a flat course with very few rolling hills. Pretty easy and I should have done much better than I did, but I didn’t so moving on.

By far the best part of this race was the food spread. If you need some inspiration to run this race... look towards the food! It was amazing! Jack Stack baked beans, Papa Murphy’s Pizza, hamburgers, an endless array of desserts, and of course the healthy stuff too, chocolate milk, oranges, and bananas. Lexie and I were both amazed by the abundance of food. Like Lex and I say  “We run so we can eat!”

Oh, and the t-shirts for this race are cute! By far the best one we have received since starting this journey!

Post Race Picture with Cow Bells!
Time: 30:09
Pace: 9:42

No comments:

Post a Comment